St. Andrew's United Church was formed from Methodist and Presbyterian Churches at the time of the birth of the United Church of Canada in 1925.
The earliest forebearers of this congregation were the Methodists, who, led by Rev. William Black, built a church on Argyle Street, Halifax in 1787. Presbyterians opened a church on Barrington Street in 1817.
Both the Methodists and Presbyterians built and moved into a number of different churches over the years. At the time of church union in 1925, the United Methodists and St. Andrew's Presbyterian congregations joined to form St. Andrew's United Church.
The bell, cast in Glasgow, Scotland, was presented to the 'Old' St. Andrew's in 1871, and was rung at the dedication of the church in 1927.
The present congregation is drawn mostly from the South End of the city, but people attend from throughout metro and environs. About 400 families are within its pastoral care.
St. Andrew's has an active congregation and is focused on Sunday worship. It seeks to provide for all ages and has an extensive community outreach program.
The present building, constructed of gray granite and built along modified gothic lines, was completed and dedicated in 1927. The attractiveness of the sanctuary is enhanced by the beautiful stained-glass memorial windows.
Saint Andrew’s United church is
a community of faith, service, celebration, and mutual care. Our
members are diverse in age, experience, personal background, and
theological orientation. We see this diversity as a strength.
We are united in our desire to be transformed, individually and
collectively, by the love and challenge of Christ’s Gospel.
Saint Andrew’s has reached a threshold of
promise and opportunity. We know that we need to move forward,
embracing the good in our history and tradition and risking the
new. We look to a New Covenant with God and each other to carry
us over the threshold. To shape this covenant, we name the following
aspirations and commit to their pursuit.
We aspire to:
We aspire to:
expand the leadership of lay and clergy;
be open to new ideas, practices, and ways of being;
have courage and hopefulness in the face of tough issues or
acknowledge our fears without being bound by them;
constantly care for the community leaders and followers, lay
celebrate often and in varied ways;
govern ourselves in a manner that is innovative, responsible,
efficient, and energising;
achieve greater diversity;
offer deep hospitality across all boundaries that isolate and
continue to grow a community that is welcoming to all who arrive
at our door on Sunday and through the week;
be visible in the city in a way that fosters awareness of who
we are and what we do; . . live a vital mission to the larger
community; . . deepen environmental stewardship; . . broaden financial
stewardship; . . confront and transform unjust structures in our
live in study and action a theology that is grounded in both
the Gospel and the world;
keep worship, marked by excellence and diversity, at the heart
of our life together;
generate artistic creativity that is multifaceted, inspirational,
and a delight to body and spirit;
inspire vitality in our music life such that it always bends
to excellence while being true to the diversity of our community
This covenant is for us a living document. We will
allow it to speak to us afresh each season. We will listen with
a hope grounded in the promise of the future and the faithfulness
of our forbears